CVAD Annual Voertman Student Art Competition
Displayed in the UNT Art Galleries and open to all currently enrolled CVAD students, the annual Voertman Competition is a time-honored celebration of artistic achievement and promise. Started in 1960 by Mr. Paul Voertman, family founder of the Voertman’s store, the exhibition is juried each year by an accomplished arts professional and provides students with real-world experience. Since 1960, thousands of artists have exhibited their works and hundreds have received cash prizes. Sponsored by the Voertman’s store, individual donors and CVAD programs, prizes are awarded by the juror at his or her discretion.
We encourage you to enter! Please provide full information and follow instructions. If you have questions, contact us. We're here to help.
- The online entry form will be available beginning Jan 29.
- The deadline for submitted entries is 5 pm on Monday, Feb 19, including payment of entry fee. No late entries will be accepted.
- Artists will be notified of acceptance to shortlist by the week of March 5.
- Artwork drop-off will be March 21 - 23, the week after Spring Break.
- The exhibition runs from March 28 through April 15, with a reception and awards ceremony on Thursday, April 5th from 6:00pm - 8:00pm.
- The juror will attend the reception and give a gallery talk, pending his/her availability.
- Works exhibited in the show must be picked up April 17 - 20.
Two-Step Entry Procedure:
- Complete the online entry form and print the confirmation email. Fill out the online form available at Voertman Submission Form [web page]. You will receive an email confirmation of your online submission(s). Please print this email and take it with you to pay your entry fee.
- Pay entry fee. Cash or check payments will be accepted in the Gallery Office, Room 100 on the 1st floor of the Art Building, M - F, 9:00am - 5:00 pm (unless updated hours are posted online and on the gallery door). Checks should be made out to the University of North Texas. The Gallery is unable to accept any other form of payment. Bring a printed confirmation from your online submission to the UNT Art Gallery along with your payment. You will receive a receipt for payment, and this completes your submission. Entries without proof of payment will be deleted.
Fee and Eligibility:
- All currently enrolled CVAD students are eligible.
- Entry fee is $5 for each artwork submitted.
- The number of entries is unlimited.
- Only submissions with proof of payment will be forwarded to the juror.
- Artworks submitted must be available for the duration of the exhibition.
- Exhibited artworks may not be taken out of the exhibition for any reason.
- Even though all reasonable care and security will be taken for artworks in this exhibition while in the care of the UNT Art Gallery and/or on display in the Lightwell Gallery, the University, College, UNT Art Gallery and/or its staff will not be held responsible for any damage to or theft of artworks.
Digital File Formats:
See entry form for specific file format requirements for image and/or video entries.
Artwork Delivery and Pick-up:
If your work is short-listed for the exhibition, you will deliver the work(s) to the UNT Art Gallery in Room 100 on the first floor of the Art Building. You will pick up your work(s) at this same location after the exhibition. Delivery and pick-up dates are listed above. Times will be announced.
Voertman’s store sponsors the Voertman Award, a cash award to be distributed by the juror at his or her discretion. Additional cash awards may be sponsored by individual donors and CVAD programs, and are also distributed by the juror at his or her discretion. Awards are announced at the ceremony and exhibition reception (see details above). Awards are paid through a UNT student account.
Starting Feb 20, the Gallery staff compiles all digital submissions and makes them available to the juror, who creates a short-list of selected artworks. From that short-list, the Gallery invites artists to bring selected works into Art 100 for safe storage until the works are installed. The juror may decide to cut a work from the exhibition at his/her discretion, even after it has been delivered. The juror distributes cash awards at his or her discretion. Only submissions with proof of payment will be forwarded to the juror.
Please contact the UNT Art Gallery office with any questions or concerns: 940.565.4005 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Office hours are M - F, 9:00am - 5:00pm.